At the end of 4th grade, SGGS holds a House sorting ceremony in the gym. All students attend and cheer as each 4th grade student’s name is called and made known what house they have been placed in. Students are welcomed into their new house with joy and elation like none other! It is a rite of passage that is looked forward to from Junior Kindergarten on. Students in lower elementary grades are each assigned a house to support and cheer for at various functions.
The purpose of the House System at SGGS:
- Provide students additional adult advocates or mentors at SGGS by having every adult employee at SGGS be a member of a house.
- Provide school fellowship among upper grades by having 5th – 8th grade members in each house.
- Promote friendly competition among houses to encourage positive behavior and good choices aligned with the values important to SGGS.
We have activities planned to help us meet these goals for our students, and we look to involve them at all points of the process to help them develop their own leadership and relationship building skills. Some activities that students have participated in are:
- Compiling kits to distribute to the homeless that we encounter.
- Spending time with students in elementary grades, playing games, watching movies, etc.
- Board Game marathon to help our House members get to know each other.
- Friendly outdoor games competition against other houses
- Adopted a seminary, Saint Vincent’s Seminary in Latrobe, PA, to pray for at each meeting.
The students are truly enjoying the opportunity to get to know other students in other grades, and it has helped in building a true sense of community for them at school. We look forward to getting to know your Saint and making their time and experience here at SGGS endearing, happy, and memorable.